Fuelling Our Future – Part One
Certainly for the short term we are stuck with traditional hydrocarbon based fuels. Scientists apply ever more complex solutions to gaining just a few more metres from every drop of precious fuel.
The dynamics of development make these incremental performance gains limited. Traffic growth and all this brings to society as a whole makes the need for transition to safer, long-term fuels more relevant that in any other time in man’s development.
The P.A.Hilton C492 Combustion Laboratory Unit continues to remain high with universities and technical colleges look to achieve first class teaching on mass and energy balance, flame stability, shape and radiation as well as comparisons of different fuels or fuel additives.
The gas burner enables the study of the combustion of mains natural gas or LPG (gas bottle). With the oil burner studies involving kerosene, gas oil or other clean light fuels such as bio-diesel can be achieved.
A paper published by the Department of Chemistry, The Petroleum Institute, UAE into Real-Time Study of Noxious Gas Emissions and Combustion Efficiency of Blended Mixtures of Neem Biodiesel and Petro diesel shows how this unit can be utilized.
- Familiarisation of the adjustment and operation of a commercial oil or gas burner.
- Assessment of a burner, including:
- Firing rate
- Turndown range
- Flame stability
- Flame shape
- Flame radiation
- Smoke emission
- Using either clean light boiler fuels, or natural gas or LPG
- The effect of air/fuel ratio on:
- Combustion efficiency as measured by flue gas constituents and temperature.
- Heat transfer
- Energy balance
- Comparison of Flue Gas Analysis with theoretical predictions.
- Comparison of Oil and Gas Burners.
(With optional extra Burner)
- Comparative performance of different fuels or fuel additives.
Fuelling Our Future – Part Two
Hydrogen fuelled cars are big in California, due in part to their ‘hydrogen highway’. The state seized on the idea in 2003 and this dynamic idea was driven by the then newly elected Californian governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The hydrogen fuel cell was the creation of William Gove who built the first working unit in 1842, using hydrogen gas to generate an electrical current.
The P.A Hilton Educational RE510 PEM Fuel Cell will provide an interesting experimental bench for instructing students on fuel cell science, technology and implementation.
Key features of the P.A.Hilton RE510 Educational PEM Fuel Cell
- Measurement of the current density and voltage-current characteristics of a fuel cell.
- Measurement of power density from a fuel cell capable of up to 750W (1 HP) electrical output.
- Measurement and investigation of fuel cell efficiency with reference to fuel and air consumption, power output and heat losses.
- Measurement and display of key temperatures and fluid throughputs fuel stoichiometric and cooling circuits.
- Measurement and investigation of reactant utilization and transport phenomena.
For more information about these or other products please contact
Advancetech Controls Pvt Limited,
B-Wing 401, 4th Floor, Universal Business Park,
Off, Chandivali Farm Road, Andheri(East), Mumbai-400072, India.
Tel: +91 -22 -67291000
TOLL FREE: 1-800 1212 515